Thank you for choosing CaseWare® Working Papers.
CaseWare® Working Papers is designed to automate the entire working paper file quickly and efficiently. With Working Papers, you can easily add account properties, such as leadsheet groupings, analytical review classifications, and tax linkages. Working Papers accommodates journal entries of any description or type so you can automatically create different reports and working papers. For simple write-up clients, you can directly enter all types of transactions and even perform automatic bank reconciliations. Full consolidation, foreign currency translations, and fund accounting features are available for more complex work. As data is entered, all working papers are instantly updated, making Working Papers a comprehensive "real-time" working paper system.
Note: If you need help with electronic licensing and will be working in a more complex environment, please see Environment and Electronic Licensing.
Table of Contents
- Included in the Installer
- System Requirements
- Installing Working Papers
- Using Working Papers
- Frequently Asked Questions
Included in the Installer
The CaseWare Working Papers installer contains:
- CaseWare Working Papers
CaseWare Data Store Administration Tool (separate download in some regions)
The Data Store Administration Tool is intended for administrators who will be setting up data stores for multiple users.
CaseWare® Working Papers requires minimum machine and software requirements for:
Microsoft Windows 10.
Microsoft Windows 8.1, Windows 8.1 with Update.
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1.
Note: See here for important information when sharing files hosted on Windows 7.
Minimum 1 GHz 64-bit (x64) processor; 2 GHz recommended for improved performance.
Minimum 2 GB of RAM; 8 GB recommended for improved performance.
Minimum 1 GB free hard drive space recommended for installation.
Note: Additional hard drive space is required for templates and engagement files. The size of open client files will vary depending on the features used and the size of documents managed. Working Papers has built-in compression that significantly reduces the size of compressed files.
1024 x 768 minimum screen resolution at normal size (DPI 100%).
Internet access required during the installation of Working Papers.
Microsoft Internet Explorer 11.0 or higher on most versions of Microsoft Windows, as per the Internet Explorer life cycle.
Adobe Acrobat Reader version 10.0 or higher.
Microsoft Office 2007 Service Pack 3, 2010, 2013, 2016, or the desktop version of Microsoft Office 365 (the cloud side is not supported).
Security and permissions
- Installation requires local administrative rights to the workstation.
- Use of Working Papers requires read/write access to the program folder and any folders containing client files.
SQL Server requirements for SQL Data Store
Working Papers Data Store requires Microsoft SQL server running on one of the following supported versions:
- Microsoft® SQL Server® 2016 or SQL Server 2016 Express®.
- Microsoft® SQL Server® 2014 or SQL Server 2014 Express®.
- Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 or SQL Server 2012 Express®.
- Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 or SQL Server 2008 Express®.
A file server can be used to store Working Papers client files.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1.
- Microsoft CIFS compatible networks like SAMBA on Linux- Contact CaseWare Support before implementing this type of solution. See more...
Note: SP1 is enforced by the installer.
Per file server/network operating system recommendations.
In situations where a workstation is to be substituted for a true file server, we strongly recommend that the operating system for the workstation be Windows 7 and later. For Windows 7 users, please refer to the CaseKnowledge article regarding file corruption when using Windows 7 workstation or Windows Server 2008 with Server Message Block (SMB2).
A Terminal or Citrix Server can host Working Papers program sessions for users. Requirements include:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2019 with Terminal/Citrix Services.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016 with Terminal/Citrix Services.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 with Terminal/Citrix Services.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 with Terminal/Citrix Services.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 with Terminal/Citrix Services.
- Citrix MetaFrame XP, Presentation Server, XenApp 4.5.
- Server hardware configuration needs to be scaled (RAM, CPU) for the number of sessions to be hosted and the applications and templates used.
- For optimal performance, Working Papers client files should be stored on the Terminal/Citrix Server or connected to it via a high-speed network connection.
Installing Working Papers
Note: Please make sure no other programs are running before you install Working Papers. In addition, disable any virus-checking software until you have finished the installation. Most virus-checking software interfere with the copying process done by the installation program.
- A copy of Working Papers from CaseWare Sales
- The minimum system requirements
Installing Working Papers
- Click the Download Now link provided in your email message. The download page is then displayed in your browser.
Click Download Now to download Working Papers.
- Run setup.exe.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
Note: If the downloaded file is zipped, ensure to uncompress the zip file contents before proceeding to run setup.exe.
Working Papers will be installed on your machine.
Using Working Papers
Here are some recommended topics to get you started with Working Papers:
- Creating a Working Papers File from Scratch
- Creating a Working Papers File with Imported Documents
- Creating a Working Papers File Using the Copy Components Wizard
- Creating a Client File From a Template
- Using the Help
Working Papers online help includes more information, reference materials, and step-by-step instructions that are context-sensitive and always up to date.
- Working Papers Welcome Screen
A detailed showing of the first screen you see when you start-up CaseWare Working Papers.
- New!Working Papers Ribbons Interface
Working Papers with commands on ribbons at the top of the interface for ease of use.
- CaseWare Technical Support
The CaseWare Support Network offers you a wide range of choices and access to high-quality, responsive technical support. Before contacting technical support, please consult the online Help and any other documentation included with this package as your first source to solve the problem. Be sure to also check the CaseWare website for the latest troubleshooting and technical information.
- Keyboard Shortcuts
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Working Papers offered in 32-bit?
Working Papers 2016 is the final version to be offered in 32-bit. All subsequent versions are available exclusively in 64-bit.
Where is the installation file?
The installation file is available for download on MyCaseWare.
Note: You must have License Administrator rights to access software downloads.
How do I transfer my Working Papers license to a different workstation?
You must revoke your license or uninstall Working Papers, then you can register the installation on a replacement workstation.
How do I revoke a license?
On your workstation with the active license, open Working Papers and click File | Revoke License. Complete the License Revocation Wizard to revoke the active license.
Can I directly upgrade from an older version of Working Papers (e.g. version 2014) to the latest version? And, if I do, will my files convert?
Yes, you can upgrade to the latest version without installing the versions in between. When converting your files, CaseWare can only guarantee a successful conversion between subsequent versions (e.g. version 2016 to 2017). It is possible to directly convert older files to the latest version, but we would encourage you to create a backup before attempting to do so.