Creating a Synchronized Copy
Create a local sync copy of a client file that is located on a network (including an external network). Requires Working Papers SmartSync.
When creating the first synchronized child copy of a new sync hierarchy, you must have exclusive access to the parent file.
- On the File tab, click Open.
- Click SmartSync Server.
Locate the file to open.
Tip: Search for client file information such as the file name, the client number, the client name, or the client city.
Double-click on the file to open.
Note: Selecting a file that already exists on the local drive displays a warning. Open the existing copy by clicking Yes or create another copy by clicking No.
A sync copy of the client file is created on the local machine in the SmartSync path specified in the Options | Default Paths dialog. The name of the client file folder is appended with (Sync).
Example: File ABC Limited downloads to a folder named ABC Limited (Sync).
- A sync copy made from a sync copy becomes a grandchild, with the copied file becoming the parent. This is recommended when off-site in peer-to-peer configurations.
- The file name of content, such as documents, emails, or document links, added to a SmartSync client is limited to one hundred (100) characters.
- Do not work in a sync copy saved to a USB key.
- Working offline in the parent entity of a consolidated file displays a warning that synchronized copies of sub-entities will be created.