Sign out a file
When you want to make customizations to a Working Papers file, you can sign out the central file. Signed out files become read-only to other users until they are signed in, so you don't need to worry about staff modifying the central file.
To sign out a file:
- In Working Papers, open the file that you want to sign out.
- On the ribbon, click Engagement | Sign Out.
- In the dialog, you can verify or change the folder where the signed out copy will be stored. Select whether or not to compress the central copy after signing out the file, then click Sign Out.
The Working Papers file is signed out to the designated folder. When working in the signed out file, you'll see [Signed Out Master] at the top of the Working Papers window.
Note: When signing out files on a network, you must have authorization rights to sign out the central copy to the designated folder.
Update the central file
You can apply the updates you've made in your signed out copy to the central file without signing the file back in.
To update the central file:
- On the ribbon, click Engagement | Sign In.
- In the dialog, select Keep the file signed out.
- Click Sign In.
The central file is decompressed, updated with your changes, then recompressed. You can continue to work in the signed out copy of the file.