Export to GIFI
The General Index of Financial Information (GIFI) is a comprehensive list of financial statement items where each item has a unique code. It allows your organization to efficiently prepare its T2 tax return to the Canada Revenue Agency.
With Working Papers, you can export data into a GIFI text file to import into tax applications. The export file is based on your selected tax vendor:
- TaxPrep: GIFI codes and corresponding current year balances are exported to a comma-delimited file (.GFI).
- ProFile: Data is exported to an ASCII text file or to a ProFile T2 return file.
- Assign tax export codes to accounts or enter the relevant codes in the Tax Code column of the Working Trial Balance | Tax tab.
- The E.I.N./BN (Business Number) field in the Engagement Properties is included in the exported GIFI file. The SIC and AIC fields are not included.
- Do not use the text file for paper filing.
To export Working Papers data to GIFI:
- On the ribbon, click Engagement | Export | GIFI....
- In the Export of Data to GIFI dialog:
- TaxPrep: In the Export Path field, enter or Browse for the location to save the export file. In the Export File name field, enter a name for the file.
- ProFile: In the Export Type drop-down menu, select the type of file to export. In the Export File name field, enter or Browse for the location of the tax return file where you want to export your data.
- Select which documents to include in the export:
- Balances: Select any applicable export options in the dialog. If you select Entity Specific Export, a dialog displays where you can select the entity to export.
- CaseView Notes: Click OK. A dialog displays where you can select the CaseView documents containing the notes you want to export.
- Balances and CaseView Notes: Select any applicable export options in the dialog. If you select Entity Specific Export, a dialog displays where you can select the entity to export. Click OK. A dialog displays where you can select the CaseView documents containing the notes you want to export.
- Click OK to complete the export.
The data is exported to GIFI. The export automatically adjusts for positive and negative balances as required for GIFI filing purposes. For example, a balance of ($10,000.00) in GIFI code 3600 - Retained earnings/deficit will export as 10,000.00. Balances including cents should be adjusted within the tax application.