Create a sync copy
To start using SmartSync, you must create a local sync copy of your Working Papers file. You can consider this local sync copy as your personal copy of the file. All modifications to the sync copy will synchronize with the parent file, and subsequently, any other users with their own local sync copies.
Before you create a local sync copy of your Working Papers file, you can specify the default path where the file will be stored on your workstation.
To specify the default path:
- On the ribbon, click Tools | Options | Default Paths.
- Under SmartSync Path, click Browse.
- Navigate to the location where you want to store your local sync copies. Click Select Folder. Click OK.
The default path for local sync copies is specified. You can now create a local sync copy.
To create a local sync copy:
- In Working Papers, open the file where you want to create a local sync copy.
- On the ribbon, click SmartSync | Create Sync Copy.
- A confirmation prompt displays. Click OK.
The sync copy is created on your local workstation in the default path. Click SmartSync | Go Online to begin synchronizing your sync copy with the parent file.
- The name of the file folder containing your local sync copy is automatically appended with (Sync). For example, file ABC Limited creates the local sync copy in the folder ABC Limited (Sync).
- You can open a sync copy similar to any standard Working Papers file. Sync copies are labeled with a synchronization icon on the File menu.
- When closing a sync copy, you are typically required to close external documents (such as Word or Excel files) that are used in the file.