Consolidations in SmartSync
Consolidation can either be internal, where one client file contains all of the entities in the consolidation hierarchy; or external, where each entity is built as a separate Working Papers file and consolidated into one main file.
- Internal (real-time) consolidations are handled by SmartSync in the same way as any typical Working Papers file. No special care is needed in bringing the file offline or synchronizing changes with other staff.
- For External (batch) consolidations, ensure the parent and subsidiary files are stored on a server (preferably the server hosting the main consolidation file), not on the local workstation where you'll create the synchronized copies. If you store the files on the local workstation rather than a server, Working Papers will not create offline files.
Before performing a consolidation, ensure that you obtain all the sync copies of the external entities. If you're working in a sub-entity, we recommend you create a synchronized copy of the sub-entity so that if you perform a future consolidation, it will use the sub-entity file instead of creating a new sync copy.
For an externally consolidated file, complete the following to begin working in a local offline copy of the external entity files.
To create a sync copy of an external consolidation:
- Ensure the main consolidation file on the server is fully consolidated and up-to-date. On the ribbon, click Engagement | Consolidate | Apply. Click OK.
- On the ribbon, click SmartSync | Create Sync Copy.
- After creating the sync copy, click SmartSync | Work Offline.
A synchronized copy of the main consolidation file is created. A prompt to create synchronized copies for each external entity file displays. Click Yes to create the sync copies. You can work in these sync copies either online or offline, however an online status of the top-level parent file is required to re-consolidate.
- If an external entity does not have a synchronized copy, a warning icon displays on the entity in the Consolidation dialog. You cannot consolidate the entity until you create a sync copy, which you can complete by right-clicking the warning icon.
- To add a new external entity, create a sync copy by publishing the file to the server, then in a sync copy of the consolidated file, link to the sync copy of the external file. SmartSync automatically resolves the path, pointing to the correct location on the server.
To perform an external consolidation in a SmartSync environment:
- Ensure the parent copies of the top-level entity and external subsidiaries are stored on the file server, while the synchronized copies are stored locally on each user's workstation.
- On the ribbon, click Engagement | Consolidate.
- In the Consolidation dialog, click OK.
The top-level parent copies are checked for sync copies that exist for the top-level consolidation file and for each subsidiary.
- If sync copies exist, the data is synced from them.
- If sync copies do not exist, the data from the parent copy on the file server is used.
The consolidation takes place locally at the sync copy level. Working Papers files hosted on Cloud or a SmartSync Server can be used as entities in a consolidation in the same way as a file hosted on a file server.