Getting Started Guide
Table of Contents
Thank you for choosing CaseWare Connector.
Connector is a Microsoft Office add-in that enables you to link data between Working Papers and Word and Excel documents. With Connector, you can create Word and Excel documents for financial statements, schedules, or calculations that are customized to the needs of your organization. When changes are made to the data in your Working Papers file, linked data in a Word or Excel document is updated in real time. Connector enables users to work efficiently by effectively transferring information, without risking data loss.
To run CaseWare Working Papers and related products, you must meet or exceed the following system requirements:
- Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (x64)
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit (x64)
- 1 GHz 64-bit (x64) processor; 2 GHz recommended for improved performance
- 2 GB of RAM; 8 GB recommended for improved performance
Minimum 1 GB free hard drive space recommended for installation
Note: Additional hard drive space is required for templates and engagement files. The size of open client files will vary depending on the features used and the size of documents managed. Working Papers has built-in compression that significantly reduces the size of compressed files.
Internet connection required during installation
Microsoft Office 2010 or later, or Microsoft Office 365 (Desktop version, Cloud is not supported)
Note: CaseWare Connector is compatible with both Office 32-bit and 64-bit, however a 64-bit Operating System is required.
- Internet browser that supports TLS 1.2 or later (see Disabling access to CaseWare Cloud for older and unsupported browsers for more information)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 10.0 or later
Security and Permissions
- Installation requires local administrative rights to the workstation
- Use of Working Papers requires read/write access to the program folder and any folders containing client files
SQL Server Requirements for SQL Data Store
The Data Store Administration Tool can use a Microsoft SQL back-end to store data. Working Papers (using a SQL Data Store) is compatible with the following SQL products:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2017 / Express
- Microsoft SQL Server 2016 / Express
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014 / Express
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 / Express
A file server can be used to store Working Papers client files.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2019
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1
Microsoft CIFS compatible networks like SAMBA on Linux
Note: Contact Technical Support before implementing this type of solution.
- Per file server/network operating system recommendations
- Microsoft Windows Server 2019 with Citrix/Terminal Services
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016 with Citrix/Terminal Services
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 with Citrix/Terminal Services
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 with Citrix/Terminal Services
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 with Citrix/Terminal Services
The server hardware configuration should be scaled for the number of user sessions. We suggest the following specifications for optimal performance:
- 1 CPU core per user session
- 8GB RAM per user session
- 80GB hard drive space per user session
Note: Working Papers files should be stored on the Terminal/Citrix Server or connected to it via a high-speed network connection.
To begin installing CaseWare Connector, you must first obtain a copy of the Connector installation file from MyCaseWare. Log into MyCaseWare, click Software Downloads, find the Connector installation file, then click Download.
- Your organization must have an active license for Connector before you can download the installation file. To purchase licenses for your organization, contact email@example.com.
- If you receive a prompt to install Microsoft .NET Framework during installation, ensure you have an active internet connection before proceeding.
To install Connector on a workstation:
- Ensure your workstation meets the system requirements.
- Double-click the Connector installation file (ConnectorSetup.exe) to launch the InstallShield Wizard.
- On the Welcome screen, click Next.
- Click I accept the terms in the license agreement, then click Next.
- On the Product Selection screen, ensure CaseWare Connector is selected, then click Install.
- When the installation process is complete, click Finish.
Connector is installed on the workstation. In Microsoft Word or Excel, you can find Connector on the Add-ins tab of the ribbon.
Perform a Silent Installation
If you want to install Connector where monitoring and manual input is not require during the installation process, you can perform a silent installation from the Command Prompt.
To silently install Connector on a workstation:
- Locate Command Prompt using the Windows Start menu or search. Right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.
- Change the directory in Command Prompt to the location of the downloaded installation file.
- Enter the following command: ConnectorSetup.exe /silent
Connector is silently installed on the workstation. In Microsoft Word or Excel, you can find Connector on the Add-ins tab of the ribbon.
How do I connect Word or Excel files to Working Papers using Connector?
The preferred method is through the Document Manager. See Connect to Working Papers.
How do I modify a Connector linkage?
To edit a UDF linkage, select the linkage in Word or Excel, then click CaseWare Linkage. To edit a DDE linkage, select the linkage in Word or Excel, then click Tools | DDE Links | Edit DDE Link.
After editing a linkage, you may need to perform a Recalculation to see your changes.
How do I send a document to an external reviewer if they do not have Connector?
How do I relink an unlinked document?
How do I re-enable Connector if it has been disabled in Word or Excel?
See Re-enable Connector.
Can I work simultaneously on two Connector documents in Excel from two different versions of Working Papers on the same machine?
Yes. Connector supports working with multiple Excel documents from different versions of Working Papers on a single computer.
Is it possible to use Connector with Excel and Word files on a SharePoint server?
Yes. Connector should function properly in this scenario, providing files are located on the SharePoint server, while Working Papers files are local or on a file server.