Getting Started Guide
Table of Contents
- Included in the Installer
- System Requirements
- Install Working Papers
- Use Working Papers
- Frequently Asked Questions
Thank you for choosing CaseWare Working Papers.
With Working Papers, you can automate your entire working paper file quickly and efficiently, and easily add account properties, such as leadsheet groupings, analytical review classifications, and tax linkages. Working Papers accommodates journal entries of all descriptions and types, so you can automatically create different reports and working papers. For simple write-up clients, you can directly enter all types of transactions and even perform automatic bank reconciliations. Full consolidation, foreign currency translations, and fund accounting features are available for more complex work. As you enter data, all working papers are instantly updated, making Working Papers a comprehensive "real-time" working paper system.
Note: To help you get started in more complex environments such as a terminal server, see Setup: Environments and Configuration.
The CaseWare Working Papers installer contains:
- Working Papers
- Data Store Administration Tool (Some regions)
- SmartSync (Requires licensing)
- SmartSync Server (Requires licensing)
To run CaseWare Working Papers and related products, you must meet or exceed the following system requirements:
- Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (x64)
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit (x64)
- 1 GHz 64-bit (x64) processor; 2 GHz recommended for improved performance
- 2 GB of RAM; 8 GB recommended for improved performance
Minimum 1 GB free hard drive space recommended for installation
Note: Additional hard drive space is required for templates and engagement files. The size of open client files will vary depending on the features used and the size of documents managed. Working Papers has built-in compression that significantly reduces the size of compressed files.
Internet connection required during installation
Microsoft Office 2010 or later, or Microsoft Office 365 (Desktop version, Cloud is not supported)
Note: CaseWare Connector is compatible with both Office 32-bit and 64-bit, however a 64-bit Operating System is required.
- Internet browser that supports TLS 1.2 or later (see Disabling access to CaseWare Cloud for older and unsupported browsers for more information)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 10.0 or later
Security and Permissions
- Installation requires local administrative rights to the workstation
- Use of Working Papers requires read/write access to the program folder and any folders containing client files
SQL Server Requirements for SQL Data Store
The Data Store Administration Tool can use a Microsoft SQL back-end to store data. Working Papers (using a SQL Data Store) is compatible with the following SQL products:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2017 / Express
- Microsoft SQL Server 2016 / Express
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014 / Express
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 / Express
A file server can be used to store Working Papers client files.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2019
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1
Microsoft CIFS compatible networks like SAMBA on Linux
Note: Contact Technical Support before implementing this type of solution.
- Per file server/network operating system recommendations
- Microsoft Windows Server 2019 with Citrix/Terminal Services
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016 with Citrix/Terminal Services
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 with Citrix/Terminal Services
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 with Citrix/Terminal Services
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 with Citrix/Terminal Services
The server hardware configuration should be scaled for the number of user sessions. We suggest the following specifications for optimal performance:
- 1 CPU core per user session
- 8GB RAM per user session
- 80GB hard drive space per user session
Note: Working Papers files should be stored on the Terminal/Citrix Server or connected to it via a high-speed network connection.
Ensure you meet the minimum system requirements prior to installation.
To download Working Papers from MyCaseWare:
- Log in to your MyCaseWare account.
- On the Dashboard, click Software Downloads.
- On the WP tab, locate the version of Working Papers you want to install, then click Download.
The installation file is downloaded to your workstation. Ensure you do not rename the installation file as it contains your registration information. Renaming the file will cause registration to fail after installation.
To install Working Papers on your workstation:
- Locate the downloaded installation file, then double-click it to launch the InstallShield Wizard.
- On the Welcome screen, click Next.
- Read the License Agreement, then select I accept the terms in the license agreement. Click Next.
- Read the Important Information if required, then click Next.
- Designate an installation directory for Working Papers. We suggest using the default directory. Click Next.
- If you are using Working Papers with SmartSync, you must open the necessary port to sync file data with other users. Click Next.
- Select whether to send identifying information to CaseWare International Inc. This data is only used during support sessions to help you manage your active licenses. Click Next.
- Click Install to begin installation.
Working Papers is installed on your workstation. Click Finish to close the InstallShield Wizard.
You can view the following links to help you start using Working Papers:
Is Working Papers offered in 32-bit?
The current versions of Working Papers are available exclusively in 64-bit. 32-bit versions are no longer supported.
Where is the installation file?
The installation file is available for download on MyCaseWare.
Note: You must have License Administrator privileges to access software downloads.
How do I transfer my Working Papers license to a different workstation?
You must revoke your license or uninstall Working Papers, then you can register the installation on a replacement workstation.
How do I revoke a license?
On your workstation with the active license, open Working Papers and click File | Revoke License. Complete the License Revocation Wizard to revoke the active license.
Can I directly upgrade from an older version of Working Papers to the latest version? And, if I do, will my files convert?
Yes, you can upgrade to the latest version without installing the versions in between. When converting your files, CaseWare can only guarantee a successful conversion between subsequent versions. It is possible to directly convert older files to the latest version, but we would encourage you to create a backup before attempting to do so.