Lock down passwords
When you lock down a file or set a file to lock down after the document completion date, you can set a lock down password to prevent other users from changing your lock down parameters and state. You can only add a lock down password to protected files.
- When initiating a lock down on a protected file, you'll have the option to create a lock down password. You'll need to enter the password if you want to unlock the file after lock down.
- If you create a new file based on a template where a lock down password exists, the new file will include the password. You do not need to create a new password when you initiate lock down on the file, the password will carry forward to the next year file when you perform a year end close.
If required, you can change a lock down password after it has been set.
To change a lock down password:
- In Working Papers, open the locked down file.
- On the ribbon, click Engagement | Unlock. The Lockdown Override dialog displays.
- Enter the current lock down password. If you are an administrator, you do not need to enter the password.
- Click Change Password. A prompt for the new password displays.
- Enter the new lock down password, then re-enter it to confirm. Click OK.
- In the File Locked Down dialog, enter a reason for unlocking the file. Click OK.
The lock down password is changed and the file is unlocked.
Create a template-level lock down password
You can create a lock down password on a template file so that any files based on the template require the password to unlock the file. When a file inherits a lock down password from a template, the user who initiates lock down on the file does not need to create a password.
To create a template-level lock down password:
- Open the template in Template Design Mode.
- On the ribbon, click Engagement | Configure Lockdown.
- Enter the template-level password, then re-enter it to confirm. Click OK.
Any locked down files based on the template will require the password to unlock the file. You can change the template-level password if required from the Configure Lockdown option, however you will need to enter the existing password first.