Manage the Parent File
Every file in a synchronization hierarchy has a _Sync folder where changes are temporarily stored. Opening the file automatically applies these changes to ensure the file is up-to-date.
While the parent file typically does not require you to open the file to apply the latest changes, doing so will apply the changes to the shared engagement file which can reduce the overall size of the _Sync folder. Maintaining a smaller _Sync folder can improve performance by decreasing network bandwidth usage.
As long as you have access rights to open the parent file, you can open it as you would any other Working Papers file. When there is a synchronization hierarchy in place, we suggest that you do not make changes directly to the parent file itself, but rather to your local sync copy.
Publish a Parent File
You can publish Working Papers files to a SmartSync Server or CaseWare Cloud for use as a parent file in a synchronization hierarchy.
- The Working Papers file must be in a non-sync state before publishing.
- You must integrate Working Papers with SmartSync Server or CaseWare Cloud before publishing.
To publish a parent file:
- In Working Papers, open the file you want to publish.
- On the ribbon, click SmartSync | Publish or Cloud | Publish. The Publish to Server dialog displays.
- Select the applicable SmartSync Server or Cloud server from the drop-down menu. If applicable, select the SmartSync Server folder where you want to publish the file. For Cloud publishing, select the entity where you want to publish the file. Click OK.
The parent file is published to the server. If the process is interrupted, the upload will automatically resume after a connection is re-established.
Replace a Parent File
After publishing the parent file to a SmartSync Server or Cloud, the parent file itself is typically no longer accessed directly. If there have been important changes to a sync copy that you want to include as part of the base file, you can easily replace the published parent file to cause minimal impact on the sync hierarchy and other users with sync copies.
To replace a parent file:
- In Working Papers, open the sync copy that you want to use as the new parent file. Ensure the sync copy is online and fully synchronized.
- On the ribbon, click SmartSync | Replace Server Copy, or Cloud | Replace Server Copy.
- In the confirmation dialog, click Yes.
The published parent file is replaced with a compressed copy of your local file. If the process is interrupted, the upload will automatically resume after a connection is re-established.
Note: After promoting your local sync copy to the new parent file, a sync copy is retained on your local machine for continued use.
Connect to a Parent File
You can connect your local sync copy to a different parent file, or reconnect a sync copy that was abandoned. We strongly suggest you only connect to the original parent file of a sync copy, otherwise you risk creating significant synchronization conflicts.
To connect to a parent file:
- In Working Papers, open the sync copy.
- On the ribbon, click SmartSync | Properties.
- Select the current parent file for the sync copy. Click Change Location.
- Navigate to the location of the new parent file. Click Connect.
The sync copy connects to the specified parent file.