CaseView offers users the powerful ability to write and retrieve their own data to and from a database. This database, called the CaseView database, is stored in Working Papers and Time with the rest of the database information in the client directory and, as such, can be accessed from any and all of the CaseView documents associated with any given client file.
Note: When a cell in the database is updated all references to that cell in all CaseView documents are automatically updated as well.
There are two types of data in the CaseView database: Global Cell Data and Form Cell Data.
- Global Cell Data are unique ID records in the CV database. Existing CV database records converted from previous Working Papers or Time versions are Global Cell Data. They are entered using the External Data tab in the Cell Properties dialog after selecting Global Cell data from the data type.
- Form Cell Data records are unique GROUP+FORM+ID records in the CV database. They are entered using the External Data tab in the Cell Properties dialog after selecting Form Cell data from the data type.
The database stores cell data with the following layout:
GROUP (for Form Cell Data Only)
This is the top-level identifier for cell data.
FORM (for Form Cell Data only)
This is the second or branch level identifier for database information for Form cell data.
This is the identifier that will be used to uniquely store and retrieve cell data from the CV Database. This identifier must be 21 characters or less in length, and cannot be a calculation.
Type of Data can have the following values:
N For Numeric
D for Date
C for Character data less than 61 characters wide
M for Character data more than 60 characters wide
P for Popup data less than 61 characters wide
Q for Popup data more than 60 characters wide
Data field for simple types and short character data
Memo field for long (61 or more) character data
The setup of CV database is done through the External Data tab while data retrieval can be done by using the formula CVDATA() and/or the formula TOKEN() in the calculation field.
To create Groups, Forms, and IDs
To enter information into the database, first create Groups, Forms and data (IDs) for all information. The Form Cell data acts like a tree with each ID being associated with a form and a group above it, like this:.
To retrieve the data on Albany, in the above illustration, its Data (ID) is UNITED STATES + NEW YORK + ALBANY.
- The same cell may be used to create each of the groups. Once the groups have been created, delete the cell.
- Groups and Forms can also be created by using and launching the events Add Group in CaseView Database and Add Form in CaseView database.
- A CaseView System Database also exists as users may want to establish a database containing program or template common data that can be accessed easily from any CaseView document in any client file. More information may be found here.