Silent (Batch) Update Wizard
The CaseWare® Silent Update Wizard applies functional template updates and default content updates to client files that use the CaseWare® Audit or CaseWare® Financials template. Firm administrators can perform the update to ensure all files are updated to the latest installed version of the template.
Note: Content updates are unique to client situations and engagement teams should continue to manage them on a client-by-client basis.
- The Silent Update Wizard should only be used with non-SmartSync files.
- If you need to update a CaseWare Cloud file, ensure there are no active child copies. Download the file to your workstation, then complete the Silent Update Wizard. After the update, you will need to delete the original file on Cloud and replace it with the updated version.
Install the Silent Update Wizard
To install the Silent Update Wizard:
- Contact your distributor to obtain a copy of the Silent Update Wizard installation file (setup.exe).
- Double-click setup.exe.
- In the Setup - Silent Update Wizard dialog, click Browse.... Select the folder where you want to install the program. Click Next.
- Select the task Create a desktop shortcut (optional), then click Next. Click Install, then Finish.
You have completed the installation and can now set up your Silent Update Wizard properties.
Set up the Silent Update Wizard Properties
To set up the Silent Update Wizard Properties:
- Launch the Silent Update Wizard.
- On the Home page, select either Year-end-close only, Template update only, Health check only, or Year-end close and update to perform on your engagement files. On the navigation menu, click the Settings icon.
Note: The steps listed below are not applicable to all performance tasks. If the step is not applicable, it will not display in your Settings.
- Under Directory location of existing files, click the folder icon.
- Select the folder containing the engagement files that require updating. Click Select Folder.
- (Optional) Select Find files within this reporting date range to update files that are within the specified reporting dates.
- Under New file name, select Operating name or Client number to use either property as the naming convention for the updated files.
- Under Adding the year-end date to file name, select None, Prepend with year-end date, or Append with year-end date. If you select prepend or append with year-end date, you can select the Date format from the drop-down menu.
- From the Installed templates list, select the templates that require updates.
- (Optional) Under Backup directory location, click the folder icon. Select the folder to save the backup file in, then click Select Folder.
- (Optional) Click Lock down original file to ensure no changes will be made to the original file.
- (Optional) Click Duration in (hours) to terminate the update process after the specified number of hours. If this option is not selected, the update process will run until all files are updated.
- If Working Papers protection is enabled, enter the administration level Username and Password.
The properties have been set. You can now select the files you want to update.
Select the files to update
To select the files to update:
- On the navigation menu, click the Preview icon.
- The silent update wizard will scan all files and determine their update eligibility. Reference the chart below for additional information.
- Locked down
- Client file version lower than minimum supported Template version
- Client file already on the latest version of the Template
- File Signed Out
- File Checked Out
- Year End Date out of specified range
- Unknown Version
- Incorrect Username/Password
- Update All updates functionality and content based on the default settings
- Functionality Only updates functionality and excludes any content changes
- Select settings file... updates functionality and content based on the selected settings file (if previously created during a template update)
- In the Selected column, select the applicable files to update.
|Displays the name of the Working Papers file.
|Displays the current version of the file. When Audit and Financials are merged in a single file, the Audit version number displays before the Financials version number.
|Working Paper Version
|Displays the current CaseWare® Working Papers version.
Displays the last recorded modified date of the Working Papers file.
Displays a brief description of why updates are not available or supported. The following are examples of analysis results:
Select an update method for all folders from the Update Options header. To apply a different update option to a specific folder, manually change the Update Option in the corresponding row.
You can now run the update for the files you selected.
Run the update
To run the update:
- On the navigation menu, click the Run icon.
- When the silent update wizard is complete, your results will display. Reference the chart below for additional information.
- To save your results, click the Save Report icon on the navigation menu. In the .pdf output file, click Save As and select a file location, then click Save.
Displays the name of the Working Papers file.
|Displays the updated version of the file. When Audit and Financials are merged in a single file, the Audit version number appears before the Financials version number.
|Displays any errors encountered in the update process. Click the available log to obtain more details on the errors.
Files are updated to the latest installed version of the template. If there are any errors, refer to the log file to obtain further information.
Note: For CaseWare Cloud files, request that your administrator upload the updated files to the Cloud server.
This online help system applies to all CaseWare Audit, Review and Compilation products. Not all features are available in all products.