Patch Customization Utility
Table of Contents
The Patch Customization Utility (PCUTIL) is used to create a new Audit template patch to upgrade old versions. The PCUTIL compares versions of your templates to identify content changes, and allows you to define the content that should be included in the patch. The PCUTIL version you use can only support the corresponding Audit version.
PCUTIL should only be used by distributors or firm authors who have created their own content in addition to the default template content. We recommend that distributors or firm authors only use PCUTIL after all the new content you are adding to your latest template has been finalized.
To install the PCUTIL:
- Retrieve the PCUTIL installer from your Distributor.
- Double-click the PCUTIL.cwp file to launch the installation wizard.
- On the Welcome page, click Next.
- To change the default installation folder, click Browse.... Navigate to the new installation folder, then click Select Folder.
- To change the default Document Library folder, click Browse.... Navigate to the new document library folder, then click Select Folder.
- You have the options to back up an existing template, and to uninstall the existing template. Click Finish.
You have installed the PCUTIL. You can now begin to use the tool.
To launch the PCUTIL:
- Open Working Papers. On the File menu, select Templates.
- Select the PCUTIL template, then click Edit.
- In the Document Manager, double-click the Patch Customization Utility document.
You have launched the PCUTIL. You can now prepare the tool before you create the patch.
To set the output location:
- In the Before You Begin section, you can change your Output Location. Click Browse.
- Navigate to your output folder, then click Select Folder.
- Under Create a cumulative patch, select Yes if your existing users are using the same version of the Audit template. Select No if your existing users are using multiple versions of the Audit template.
You have set the output location. Upon creation, your patch file will be saved in this location.
To select items to export:
- In the Utility Features section, a list of all template components such as functionality, content, and settings are displayed. The components listed in bullet format will automatically be pushed to your new patch file.
- To push your template issue types, select Export CaseWare Issue Types.
- To push your template objects that contain linkages, select Export Audit Objects with linkages.
You have selected the items to export to your new patch file.
To prepare your files:
- Prepare your files in the Getting Started section. Create and locate the updated .cwp template that includes all upcoming content changes. Ensure that all the new content you are adding has also been finalized.
- Locate the .cwp template that users are currently using.
- Locate the previous year's .cwp template, that some users are still using (this option displays if you are creating a cumulative patch).
You have prepared the PCUTIL. Click Start Customization to begin the customization process. If you need to change your inputs, click Reset ALL.
To locate your template components:
- In the Updated Template section, click Browse. Navigate to the .cwp template that includes all upcoming and finalized content changes, then click Open.
- In the Current Shipping Template section, click Browse. Navigate to the .cwp template that users are currently using, then click Open.
- In the Previous Shipping Template (this option displays if you are creating a cumulative patch) section, click Browse. Navigate to the .cwp template that was released prior to the Current Shipping Template, that some users are still using, then click Open.
- In the Load settings from an existing patch (optional) section, click Browse. Navigate to a previous .cwp patch file to load PCUTIL settings from, then click OK.
You have located your template components. Click Step 2.
To export your Document Manager settings:
- In the Re-arrange Documents in Document Manager section, select either Rearrange end user's Master Template and Engagement document manager, Rearrange end user's Master Template document manager ONLY, or Do not rearrange:
- If you select Rearrange end user's Master Template and Engagement document manager, the Document Manager in firm and engagement files will re-order to closely match the master template order. Firm created files and folders will display near the bottom of the Document Manager.
- If you select Rearrange end user's Master Template document manager ONLY, the firm’s Document Manager will re-order to closely match the master template order, and firm created files and folders will display near the bottom of the Document Manager. The Document Manager in engagement files will not re-order, and all new documents will be saved to a new folder, New Documents, located at the top of the Document Manager.
- If you select Do not rearrange, the firm’s Document Manager will not be re-ordered. Any new files and folders will display at the top of the Document Manager.
- In the Replace Documents in Document Manager section under the REP. column(s), you can select the documents you want to replace. Newer versions of the Working Papers documents, with an increased document number, display a (U) beside the updated document. New Working Papers documents that don't exist in previous versions display a (N). Documents that display an (R) are required and cannot be modified.
- We do not recommend you replace work programs or checklists if firm users author new procedures in their templates. The content within these documents will automatically update during the patch. We only recommend replacing these documents if extraordinary changes were made to the document.
- Once all selections are complete, it may help to Save as PDF Document from the File menu. You can refer back to the PDF document to ensure all selected template documents are replaced accordingly.
You have exported your Document Manager settings. To make any changes to the previous step, click Go back to Step 1, or Step 3 to proceed.
To create your full patch:
- Under Patch Version, you can increase the revision letter and/or revision number to support updating the same functional version. From the revision letter drop-down, select the same letter (A-Z) that the Updated Patch Version currently contains. From the revision number drop-down, select the appropriate revision number (1-9).
Note: If you receive content updates from CaseWare International, it is important to only increase the revision number, and not the revision letter. This ensures your revision letter will not conflict with any revision letter used by CaseWare International.
- In the Patch Options section, you can select the options to Create Full + Patch template, Include Dashboard Content, and/or Generate Release Notes:
- If you select Create Full + Patch Template, an additional Full+Patch .cwp will be created, that combines both the Updated Template and the Patch components.
- If you select Include Dashboard Content, your dashboard content and settings will be overridden by the patch. If you do not select this option, the Patch will only include dashboard functional changes.
- If you select Generate Release Notes, an additional HTML document will be generated which will summarize all content changes included in the patch.
- If your Updated Template does not include all hotfix updates, you can include the latest Audit hotfix document in the Hotfix Location section. Before you add the hotfix document, ensure you open the hotfix .cvw document and select all the hotfixes you want to include. Click Browse, navigate to the hotfix .cvw file, then click Open.
- In the Custom Distributor Patch Script section, you can include custom functionality files you have built into your template. Click Browse, then select the Add File or Add Folder icon. Navigate to your custom .scp, .js, or .txt file or folder, then select OK.
- Before you proceed to create your patch file, review your inputs under Review.
- To make any changes to the previous step, click Go back to Step 2, or Create Patch to proceed.
- On the Patch Customization Utility prompt, click OK to continue.
This online help system applies to all CaseWare Audit, Review and Compilation products. Not all features are available in all products.