View Related Video: Referencing
Link references enable you to create hyperlinks that open specific documents within the Working Papers client file Document Manager or to add supporting tickmarks to your document.
Connections to the client file
A client file connection is required for Connector to create a document reference or retrieve tickmarks. Connector attempts to establish a connection to the client file in the following order:
- If there is an active client file (open in Working Papers), then Connector establishes a connection to that file. This connection occurs regardless of whether the document is associated with a different client file or not.
- If there is no active client file and the document is located in the same folder as the client file, then:
- In Excel, Connector establishes a connection to the associated client file.
- In Word, Connector prompts you to specify a client file path.
- If there is no active client file connection and the document is located in a folder outside the client file, then Connector prompts you to specify a client file path (for both Word and Excel).
Document references or
Document references are standard hyperlinks that open supporting documentation of the client file. Connector document references can open automatic documents and CaseView documents in Working Papers and Microsoft Office documents in Word or Excel. To ensure document reference links operate correctly, we recommend you have the appropriate client file open in Working Papers alongside your document.
For instructions on adding document references, see here.
Note: Using Connector to link Word documents to Excel documents may result in issues with retaining links after content has been edited in either application. The best practice to link Excel documents in Word is to add the files to a Working Papers client file and then use Connector to link the Excel file. Links in Microsoft Office are absolute links and are not retained as relative links would be after a change has been made.
You can include tickmarks in Connector documents. The list of tickmarks is retrieved from the client file and you have the option to include tickmark images, descriptions, and IDs in your document.
For instructions on adding tickmarks, see here.
All Connector linkages enable you to open the corresponding parts of the Working Papers client file. This function has been adapted for Connector to function as the drill down command in Working Papers.
For more information, see here.