As a quality-control measure, firms may want to prevent users from working on certain documents until other documents have been completed. For example, a firm may want to ensure that documents key to the planning phase are completed before documents from the performing phase are started. Users can also specify the dependencies for a document. Dependencies prevent any further changes from being made to a document once another document has been signed off by a specified role. Therefore, once the document has been signed off, none of the sub-documents that are dependencies can be modified.
The firm can specify the consequences of not meeting the prerequisites including:
- No consequences – an information icon is displayed to advise users that document dependencies exist, but users can still continue to work on the document.
- Warning - warning text (customizable by the firm author) will pop up in a dialog upon opening, along with what documents needs to be completed prior to working on the current document.
- Lock document - the user cannot work on the document unless a password is entered or the dependent document has been completed.
- Prerequisite conditions are defined in the firm’s master template but are only applied when working in an engagement file.
- If the prerequisites feature is not enabled for the document, the document opens normally and the user is not prohibited from working on it.
This online help system applies to all Caseware Audit, Review and Compilation products. Not all features are available in all products.