SmartSync and Lock Down
Preparing a client file for Lock Down
Files are locked down at the completion of the engagement. Before performing a lock down, perform the following:
- Review the top-level parent file and ensure all relevant information and external documents have been successfully synced from existing synchronized copies.
If necessary, perform a backup of the top-level parent file.
- In the top-level parent file, on the File tab, click Back Up.
- Select a destination for the backup file.
- Select Include Sync Folder and click OK.
- Remove all existing synchronized copies from the hierarchy or ensure they are online. Working Papers displays a list of all outstanding synchronized copies that are not online, with the option to abandon those outstanding copies. Please note that once a synchronized child copy has been abandoned it cannot re-join the synchronization session.
Performing a Lock Down
Once the above steps have been completed, on the Engagement tab, click Lock Down to open the Lock Down wizard. There are two options for lock down available, an immediate lock down performed as the command is called and a scheduled lock down performed at a predefined date.
Lock Down Now
This function locks down the file immediately. It is recommended that Lock Down Now be used in a SmartSync environment. Ensure that all sync copies have been deleted or abandoned through Working Papers and that all synchronization has completed before proceeding with the lock down.
Lock Down After Document Completion Date
This function locks down the file at a predetermined future date. With a scheduled lock down date, sync copies require an online connection to the parent or they can only be accessed in a Read-Only state.
Once the lock down date arrives, the top-level parent and all sync copies are automatically locked down.
Using SmartSync in a locked down file
After the file has been locked down, sync copies may still be created. These functions are available in a locked down file without unlocking:
- Creating a new document.
- Creating and editing issues.
- Resolving synchronization conflicts (this includes conflicts relating to locked down documents).
- Moving documents in the Document Manager.
- Creating Tax-type adjusting journal entries.
- Changing the order of Group numbers.
- Changing the Tax entity and vendor in Engagement Properties.
- Assigning Tax and M3 codes to accounts, groups, and map numbers.
- Creating new Tax and M3 codes.
- Saving compressed.
- Backing up the file.
- Modifying Page Setup properties.
- Year End Close.
- Converting documents to HTML or PDF.
- Modifying or deleting documents created after lock down.
- Repair File, SmartSync Repair, Maintenance, and Diagnostics.
- Any read-only function, such as viewing a document, browsing the Working Trial Balance, viewing history and milestones, etc..
On the Engagement tab, Unlock will not be available in a sync copy unless it is online and fully synchronized with the top-level parent file.
To exclude folders or documents from lock down, right-click on the object and select Properties and clear Lock Down. When the lock down occurs, these objects will retain their full functionality.
Note: Documents cannot be excluded from lock down after the lock down has occurred.